Wednesday, June 15, 2011

EMAS FIELD TRIP TO ANGLO-SAXON CHURCHES

Saturday 16th July 2011

David Beard, M.A. will be our guide around four churches in Hampshire at Titchfield, Breamore, Tichborne and Little Somborne, and Britford church in Wiltshire.
Titchfield was once a small port dominating the Meon estuary with a 13th century Premanstratensian abbey. The lower part of the tower (or west porch) at Titchfield is Anglo-Saxon, perhaps as early as the 8th century. Like Monkswearmouth, it is a west porch and not a tower. Perhaps dated to circa 1000, Taylor & Taylor describe Breamore as “a singularly complete survival of a large Anglo-Saxon building of advanced design”. A fine arch leads from the tower to the south porticus. Above the south doorway is a much damaged but important Saxon Rood in relief. At St. Peter, Britford, sections of the Anglo-Saxon nave are visible with low entrances into the north and south portici. The decoration on the north entrance has interlace on one of the square slabs and in the east reveal the upright slabs are decorated with vine scroll, developed from that on the Ruthwell and Bewcastle crosses. St. Andrew Tichborne is more accurately described as a Saxo-Norman church with two typical double-splayed Anglo-Saxon windows in the chancel. All Saints, Little Somborne has a Saxon nave with traces of pilaster strip-work. It is a small church consisting of nave, chancel and bell-turret.

Lunch will be at the Three Crowns in Whaddon.

You can download an application form here...

And a menu form here...